I was really craving a clean and wholesome meal yesterday so I drove over to the local supermarket to choose a selection of fresh produce. I had already put some Lotus Foods Forbidden Black Rice in the rice cooker, and all I had to do when I got home was prepare the vegetables to my liking. Black rice by the way, has more protein and fiber than white and brown rice, and a much higher amount of antioxidants than any other type of rice.
One of the easiest ways to make a fast and healthy meal is to make a bowl of assorted vegetables or fruits, and add some protein. My meal last night ended up being a black rice and vegetable bowl, with a Sunbutter/lemon dressing:
Here’s how you can make this delicious meal:
- 1 medium yellow sweet potato
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked black rice
- 1/2 cup any type of bean mix
- 1/2 cup shredded raw daikon
- handful of fresh salad greens
- sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup Sunbutter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (approximately 2 lemons)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Clean the sweet potato, carrots and broccoli, then cut into bite-size pieces. Place them in a bowl and coat with olive oil and kosher salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and pour the vegetables on the tray. Bake for approximately 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, clean the rice and cook in a rice cooker according to the packet directions.
- In individual salad bowls, place a bed of salad leaves in each bowl. Then evenly distribute all the ingredients (roasted vegetables, shredded daikon, bean mix, black rice, and seeds) around the bowl.
- Make your dressing by pouring all of the ingredients into a blender and pulsing into a smooth consistency.
- Drizzle your salad with a little dressing and enjoy!